How it all started...
- God placed a desire on Lead Pastor Brandan and Kasie Thomas to be church planters. Through a string of unplanned and difficult circumstances, God brought the Thomas family to the Winchester area and made it very clear to them that God was calling them to plant a church in the city of Winchester.
- In July of 2013 a small group of people began meeting on Sunday evenings at the Hilton Garden Inn in Winchester.
- In December of 2013 Canvas had our first Christmas Eve service with our highest attendance of 72 people.
- In the summer of 2014 we began to outgrow our more permanent “Studio” location, and we became portable and began meeting at Virginia Avenue Charlotte DeHart Elementary School.
- In September of 2014 we had our official grand opening service with over 100 people in attendance.
Expanding the vision...
- In February of 2016 our church began a strategic partnership with the Winchester Rescue Mission.
- In September 2016 we outgrew the commons area of the school and moved into the Cafeteria.
- In January 2017 we outgrew the cafeteria, began having 2 services to accommodate for the amount of people connecting with God at Canvas.
- In February of 2018 we helped with the opening of a women’s shelter in Winchester.
- Towards the end of 2018 we saw our highest attendance to date with over 300 people worshiping with us. We are blown away by all that God has done over the first 6 years of Canvas Church and we cannot wait to see what He will continue to do through our church in the future.
Where we are headed...
- Moving forward, we believe that the vision of God for Canvas Church is to be a Kingdom building movement that empowers every single believer to realize their priesthood. This means that we probably won't look like your "ordinary church" with a TON of corporate ministries. Rather, we will focus on helping people find their calling and empower them to serve our city by planting or serving as apart of a micro-church.
- A micro-church is any smaller expression of the church that chooses to be apart of the bigger community of faith at Canvas.
- We believe that the key to planting more micro-churches is to help people understand their calling. We regularly use a tool called the Calling Lab to help people better understand their calling.
- In 2021, our vision is to see over 100 people go through the Calling Lab and to see 10 micro-churches planted throughout the process.
- Are you discontent with your spiritual influence? Do you want to be apart of something HUGE that God is doing in our city? We would love to have you join us on this journey as we seek to be a Kingdom building church in the City of Winchester.
Be a part of our story...
Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 9:00am and 10:30 am.